Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Tocino Recipe

Tocino or tosino is a cured meat product native to the Philippines. It is usually made out of pork and is similar to ham and bacon. It is often reddish in color and has a sweetish taste. Its name derived from the Spanish word tocino, which is used to describe bacon or cured meat.

I prepared tocino yesterday and it was my first try. I bought 1 kilo of pork (pigue) and 1/4 pork fat sliced into 1/4-inch thick. I researched (online) for its recipe but I found out that some of the ingredients are not available at our public market, so I experimented a bit. I didn't put any food coloring.

Ingredients:
  • 1 kilo of pork and 1/4 kilo of pork fat, sliced into 1/4 inch thick
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons of salt
  • 10 tablespoons of brown sugar
  • garlic powder
  • black ground pepper
  • 100 mL of soda (i used sprite)
  • 400 mL pineapple juice
  • vetsin
Procedure:
  • Combine sugar, salt, pepper, vetsin and garlic powder.

  • Coat the sliced pork evenly in the mixture. Put in a container then pour soda and pineapple juice. Cover it and keep refrigerated for at least 24 hours.

I just cooked it with water, not oil. Well, my mother liked it. I also shared some to my friends. This is one of my favorite dishes so it doesn't really matter to me if it's served 3 meals a day :) Too bad I forgot to take a photo..maybe next time.

No comments:

Is Your Career at Risk in the Age of AI?

The rise of AI is reshaping industries, and it's time to ask the tough question: Is your career future-proof or on shaky ground ? While...