Rosvi C. Gaetos, executive director of the Center for International Trade Expositions and Missions, shares the secret traits of successful global entrepreneurs.
- Passionate. "Do not lose steam. A lot of new designer entrepreneurs who venture into the export market easily lose hope when they face challenges, a little bump here and they opt to close down. You will only survive if you have the passion to push through for your dreams even when times are rough."
- Creative. "It is a very competitive industry and the competitive edge of Philippine design is the creativity. A lot of successful designers would think out of the box. Creativity plays an important role in the success of the business."
- Innovative. "This industry is all about innovation. Either you innovate or die. You have to have the flexibility to use non traditional materials or non traditional techniques in developing your products."
- Skillful. "Filipino artisanship is recognized worldwide as one of the best. No other country in the Asia-Pacific region can lay claim to that."
- Business-savvy. "At the end of the day, it is still a business that you have to run--do accounting, inventory, and sales. You need to have a business sense in order to succeed. You must know your market and know what it needs or want."